16 May 2017

San Francisco, always a good trip

Dewey Memorial, Tribute to the sailors of the United States Navy, in Union Square

They say San Francisco is home to a little bit of everything. I say it was cold and windy but still my favorite place from my US adventure. Even cold can have its perks, especially when you are not dressed appropriately. Luckily my first sight in San Francisco, as soon as I descended from the BART train, was Anthropology. So I had to buy a cozy sweater, poor freezing me. And than there was Diesel  and Replay and Macys. When in USA one has to visit Macys, I said to myself. I examined most of the hundreds of bags I could find on the ground floor. 2 hours away I realized I was lost.

Union Square
 
Not geographically lost but "way out of focus" lost. Because six department stores sit within the three block radius of Union Square. I left the distractions and went for the hearts placed at the entrances of the square. I sat down to rest and while I was putting my sweater on, I saw a Double Decker bus. The perfect solution to keep me on my visiting track throughout San Francisco. I defied the chilly wind and went to the top deck so I can take better pictures from there.


There were other interesting buses running around, with provocative questions:
"What if ... buses were art galleries?"


We drove through Chinatown heading to Little Italy afterwards while listening to fascinating stories our guide told us about San Francisco. Here is a spicy one: in 1908, Adolph Spreckels, heir to the Spreckels' sugar fortune (along with his brother), married a woman 24 years his junior. She called her husband Adolph her "Sugar Daddy" and this is apparently where the expression comes from.


Little Italy


You can actually have lunch in this car on the street. Another restaurant was The Stinking Rose, which serves everything with garlic, as their motto goes : "We Season Our Garlic With Food!®".

Saints Peter and Paul Church is where Marilyn Monroe had her wedding pictures, even though they were not allowed to get married in the church, because Joe DiMaggio had been already married in a church. 
 

Cafe Zoetrope is located in the majestic Sentinel building. Francis Ford Coppola bought the building in 1972 to be the headquarters for his production company, American Zoetrope. A number of his films including the Godfather II and III, DraculA were written, edited or sound mixed within these walls.


Transamerica Pyramid was the tallest building in San Francisco until 2016, when Salesforce Tower surpassed it. 


Another interesting sight was City Lights Booksellers with its window message: "All bullies are cowards / Their weakness is our strength / Courage is the triumph over fear / There is no progress without struggle / Stand up to power / History will be our judge.".


The Cannery was originally built in 1907 for the canning operation of Del Monte and now is restored into shopping and fine dining complex. Close by there is also the former Ghirardelli chocolate factory located on the West side of Fisherman’s Wharf.

The Piers

Alcatraz
Bay Area, Discovery Museum, Sausalito
Back from the extremely windy Golden Gate bridge we passed through the Golden Gate park and Haight-Ashbury. The Haight is the district origin of hippie counterculture. It's where exactly 50 years ago Summer of Love happened. It is also the area where you can see some wonderful "painted ladies" houses.


I left San Francisco with flowers on my mind, lots of good stories and the desire to fill my summer with love. Wherever that be.

A tour a day keeps the doctor away!

No comments:

Post a Comment