28 April 2017

SeaWorld Orlando - What Lies Beneath the Surface


- I want to go out and play! Let me out! says Auras as soon as she sees this lighthouse. Auras is how my mom used to call me when I was little. There is this part of me still feeling like a child so why not call her by my favorite nickname?! Equipped with sunglasses, boots made for walking and big curious eyes, Auras and I were ready to play.

With 10 adventure parks, Orlando is said to be the theme park capital of the world. I chose SeaWorld just because it seemed more suited for a visit on my own.

The shows

There are at least 4 shows going on up to 5 times every day so you really can't miss them. I saw the 3 outdoors ones with sea animals:

One Ocean is SeaWorld's signature show at Shamu Stadium. Shamu is the name used for several SeaWorld orca (killer whale) shows and is the stage name given to the "star" of those shows. In March, 2016, SeaWorld announced they are ending their orca breeding programs making their current orcas, "the last generation of orcas in SeaWorld's care." SeaWorld also announced they will be phasing out their theatrical orca whale shows



When entering the Shamu Stadium I saw the Soak zone sign and thought to myself: " How wet can it get?" Very wet, so I had to take a selfie to immortalize a look that I don't normally have in public.


Clyde and Seamore's Sea Lion High is about sea lions, walruses and otters competing to win a scholarship at Ocean University. You can see them clapping and dancing.



Dolphin Days features dolphins alongside tropical birds and acrobats in a show where sea and sky unite. The tropical birds were the unexpected actors and this must be why I was impressed. Or it may be the contradiction in terms free as a bird and the training they underwent to be part of the show.



Animal encounters

In addition to petting the little sharks in the shark tanks there were other interesting animals I met throughout the park: a sleuth rescued from Panama, which was as slow as a sleuth can be. I petted an iguana, admired some cute penguins from a chilly distance and stepped on an aquatic habitat in the Jewel of the Sea Aquarium




My favorites were the flamingos. I set and watched them for minutes as I couldn't have enough of the coral on green combo. Not to mention their grace and allure. My surprise gift on my way out the park was another flamingo family, not as brightly coloured but just as nice.



The rides 
 
I didn't feel like riding roller coasters on my own. Sometimes there is no point in fun if you can't share it with somebody else. Or maybe I am getting old despite my inner child being alive and kicking.

Speaking of kids, there is this nice scene in my latest TV series fixation "Big Little Lies" :
- What's out there? a 6 year old Chloe asks her mother Madeline who is looking at the ocean.
- It's the big out there. Ocean is powerful, mostly vast. It's full of life. Mystery. Who knows what lies out there under this big surface?!
- Monsters?
- Monsters, maybe. Dreams. Sunken treasure. It’s the great unknown.

I left SeaWorld knowing a little more about what lies under the big surface. Mystery stays.

A park a day keeps the doctor away!

No comments:

Post a Comment